The Very Unofficial Commodore Amiga Unix (AMIX) Wiki
Because AmigaOS just isn't obscure enough today!
Amiga UNIX ("Amix") is Commodore's port of AT&T System V Release 4 to the Amiga from 1990. The two "official" machines that could run Amiga UNIX are the Amiga 2500UX and the 3000UX, however it can run on any Amiga that meets its requirements.
Like many early UNIX variants, Amiga Unix never became wildly popular, but it's an interesting sidestep in Amiga's history. This site is dedicated on preserving AMIX's history and sharing information and instructions on what Amix is, how to install it (either on real hardware or in emulation) and what can you do with it.
Since version 2.7.0 (5.12.2013) the awesome Amiga emulator, WinUAE can be used to install and run Amix without hacks! You can read more about it in here (thread in English Amiga Board forums) and here: AMIX - Fun with virtual virtualization. See below for installation guide.
See what is new on the site (articles) Updated 2016-03-17
Browse weblinks directory
AMIX downloads link fixed 2016-04-22
- History and information of Amiga UNIX - UPDATED
- Why would I want to install AMIX?
- Suggested topics for this site
- About this site
- Installing AMIX in WinUAE
- Dual boot installation of AMIX and AmigaDOS/Workbench
- Installing AMIX from tape - real hardware or WinUAE
- Creation of an AMIX install tape
- Patching the installation to latest version
- Installation of pre-compiled software found on this site
- 2007 and beyond DST changes
- SVGA X Server using Picasso II/+ card - UPDATED
- Using the vi editor
- Essential documentation
- Hardware that works/does not work
- AMIX Networking
- Tips and tricks
- AMIX performance vs other OS
- Compilation success/failure reports
- System daemons: save precious memory
- Creating a new filesystem
- Fixing the HD hack installation so it can at least be patched
- support.Amix in English Amiga Board - Probably the most active group
- Amiga UNIX Discussions in Amiga.org - Not active anymore, but good reading
- www.vintagebytes.de - Great Amix site with re-done manuals and other useful files (german).
- telefisk.org gopher site - Another place to grab Amix files.
This is the main index page to the site. Please do not place content on this page other than links to other pages. You must be a registered user to edit files on this site. Register here.
Report an issue with the site.